I woke up today with a stiff neck and this isn't a good way to start the day, since it's usually painful and stops you functioning properly. Invariably, it will be one side of your neck that's painful, such that you can turn your head one way but not the other. It's worse than a headache. I was thinking the reason for this was wrong sleeping position or maybe my pillows. Anyways, I went on line and look at possible quick fixes for this, since I can't move my head anyways and I don't want to take any pain killers. I found some things to resolve these problem. But unfortunately nothing worked. I'm only listing the easy to do stuff as there were lots of thing to do but there so complicated (instructions) so I didn't bother trying it...aaahhh I hope it goes away tomorrow :(
-Rub your hands together briskly to warm them up and charge them with energy. Place your palms on the back of your neck with your fingers interlocked. Rub your neck from side to side for several minutes. Feel the heat penetrating your neck muscles. Repeat several times a day.
-Get someone to massage oil into the area where the muscles are sorest, or you can also do this by yourself.
-Another helpful treatment is the use of a heat pack. Heat packs have the effect of relaxing the muscles that had previously been in spasm.
-Gentle stretching exercises can also be beneficial in alleviating muscle spasm in the neck.
And I found things to prevent stiff neck, even though I don't get stiff neck a lot I think it's good to know on how to prevent it from happening as it can ruin a very beautiful planned day. I may not have a plan for today but it sure ruined my mood for the day, aarrrggghhh.
Avoid Stress – In today’s fast moving world stress often causes the neck muscles and upper shoulder muscle to tighten. The tightening of neck and shoulder muscles can trigger the whole body tightening causing Stiff Neck. So try to avoid stress. Use relaxation techniques to get rid of stress. Lying on the ground with your bent knees, flat feet, and a paperback book underneath your head can be a good starting posture for exercising relaxation. Imagine your muscles releasing and unlocking your head from your spine, place your back spread out against floor and feel your deep breathing.
Checking of Bed and Pillow – In most of the cases this is easiest thing to do to bring quick comfort. A mattress or bed that doesn’t provide the necessary support is a common cause in neck pain. Even an old and hard pillow can lead to stiff neck. Remember, you do spend one-third of life in bed so its very essential to provide optimum support to the body.
Avoid the Draft – This is another common cause of stiff neck. Neck pain can be a punishment for sleeping with the windows open on a full night. People from old age group are more susceptible to these kinds of neck pains. So avoid keeping open the windows of bedroom. Also try to keep the window close on your side while driving.
Massage – Massage serves as one to of the best tools to get quick relief from a stiff neck. Although it serves as a temporary solution it is very helpful to get an instant relief. Expert massage therapist knows the anatomy well enough to know which muscle to be released. You can also learn the same massage.
Pain Killers – This remedy also forms a temporary solution of the problem but can give a quick relief and ease your pain. Pain Killers like aspirin should be tried to reduce the swelling and inflammation of neck. It has to be understood that these pain killers or muscle relaxants can only mask the problems but will not address the underlying cause. 6. Gentle Hot Shower – A hot shower can also help to relieve the tension in the neck muscles. The hot shower gently massages the neck muscle by providing heat deep down the muscles. 7. Isotonic Exercises – Isotonic exercises strengthen the muscles of neck in upper shoulder region. Thus minimizing the possibility of injury in this area. Because of such exercises flexibility increases which will reduce the probability of stiff neck.
Tuesday, August 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment